Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Day

It all started with some bubble wrap, ever so carefully removed from a soon to be glass topped side table. Miracle of miracles, our opinionated daughter not only accepted this new addition to the family room, but the unusual lamp we bought with it. As my husband always does, the cardboard box, Styrofoam and gnarled tape neatly made its way to the massive city issued garbage bin tucked out of sight. The bubble wrap was next. A few yards of pristine wrap, with large cushions of air begging to be popped, lay haphazardly on the couch. My husband, my resolute protector, looked at the bag then me, his middle aging housewife, on the brink of making an idea reality.

"You might need these to ship things, right?" he suggested.

"Right, " I sheepishly answered, as I felt a smile overtaking my face, promptly taking it to the spare bedroom - turned office - turned studio.


Studio. My studio.

I had toyed with the idea of creating and selling, but lacked so much confidence. So much follow through. So much direction. My husband's suggestion of holding onto that wrap, somehow, gave me the wind I needed to propel me forward. As much as I like to consider myself an independent, I needed that push, that boost of confidence. It was as if he was saying, "Go for it. It's okay. I'll be here for you."

So I am. Whether I fly or fail, today is the day I go from thinking and analyzing to taking a deep breath and doing. Am I nervous? Surely. Do I have doubts? Tucked under mounds of fabric scraps, splatters of dried paints, and a stubborn will inherited from both sides of my family. These exist, and try to deafen inner mantras meant to encourage me. Too many minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years of thinking, hoping, aspiring - then listening to every reason not to pursue have stifled me, and my family even.

But not today. Today I tune out the negative, though keeping eyes and ears open to reality, and take a leap forward.

After all, it's called work for a reason.

Today, all that changes. Today, no longer sitting still, I am choosing to move forward. Today, is indeed, a new day. And I hope you will join me in this journey, creating your own today, working hard to make a positive difference in the lives of everyone you touch.

Today, is, indeed a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment