Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review Time: Chalk Line by Paula LaRocque

After reading The Book on Writing, I was curious to see how LaRocque switches between genres. Plus, it’s summer, and the perfect time for reading something different.

Instead of giving a detailed play by play, I’ve decided to keep this quick and easy. (Trying to put into practice what I learned from reading The Book on Writing!)

In brief, Chalk Line is a murder mystery, set in two opposite ends of the country. Now, what did I think of it? Let’s start with my wish list and end with the gifts. Chalk Line took a little longer to for me connect with some of the characters than I like. Plus, my daughter saw me reading it and asked if she could read it after I finished. Due to sprinklings of strong profanity along with a paragraph or two of a sensually graphic nature (which are, admittedly, less than in most novels of this genre), I dissuaded her. This book is intended for older audiences.

On the flip side, I did enjoy many of the twists and turns the story took. One of the main characters, a sweet dog named Bood, is absolutely adorable. And, honestly, I think it would make for a terrific hit on the big screen. Does she have any desire to see her work turned into a screen play? I have no idea, but I’d love to see it happen, and think Chalk Line makes the beginning of a great series.

Pick up a copy, read it, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment